When in the throes of nursery design don’t forget the safety considerations:
- Make sure your crib meets federal guidelines: www.cpsc.gov/info/cribs.
- Buy a nursery thermometer; babies who get too hot are at risk of SIDS: 65ºF is just right.
- Wind or cover all blind and electrical cords in baby's room, especially near the crib or changing table.
- Install a smoke alarm in the nursery, and on every level of your home.
- Secure all furniture to the wall to prevent tipping.
- Install baby-proof electrical socket covers.
- Make "green" choices for a healthy nursery—see our eco nursery tips here.