Satisfy Pregnancy Cravings
Sure you need extra calories each day for a healthy pregnancy—but not so many to justify a daily trip to Ben & Jerry’s. Truth be told, our experts Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz unpack it this way: You only need a 10% increase in calories during your first trimester, hence 1.1, and it goes up from there.
Fuel up and calm your cravings with these healthy, juicy suggestions for taking in the extra needed calories each trimester. All calorie accounts are approximate—measure and calculate your ingredients as you go.
First Trimester: +100 Calories
- 2 Juicy peaches or 3 plums
- 8oz icy cold skim milk
- Hummus (3 TbSP) with water-packed celery
Second Trimester: +250 Calories
- One whole wheat roll,1oz hard cheese and grape tomatoes
- 2 string cheese and one cup frozen grapes
- Chocolate (extra dark, extra good!), dipped frozen banana
Third Trimester: +300 Calories
- 6oz Plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup granola and 3/4 cup blueberries
- Tropical smoothie: Light yogurt, banana and pineapple (1/2 cup each); add water and ice to desired consistency
- Pita picnic: 1/2 pita, 2 TbSP hummus, chilled steamed veggies