You may decide to have embryos created and frozen for implantation at a later time, although you may have to delay your cancer treatment until you have this accomplished. Drugs used to stimulate your ovaries can be dangerous in women who have a hormone-receptor positive breast cancer. Other methods are emerging but are still considered experimental.
While breast cancer is rare in women of childbearing age, it’s important to know your risks and get screened accordingly.
Reducing breast cancer risks
While you can’t change the fact that you’re a woman, or that each day you’re getting older (hey, I’m just the messenger here!), you can work to minimize your risks of breast cancer by:
- Keeping a healthy weight, especially from age 18 and on
- Losing weight if you’re overweight or obese
- Avoid using a combination hormone therapy during and after menopause
- Getting regular exercise
- Limiting alcohol consumption – fewer than 1 drink per day
- Breastfeeding your babies
- Avoiding smoking
- Avoiding shift-related work, especially the night shift