Too many pregnancy pounds can lead to chubby children, experts say, who observed that women who gained too much in pregnancy were more likely to have obese kids. Starting pregnancy overweight is even riskier: Excessive pre-pregnancy weight gain packs a whopping 300% risk of childhood obesity for your baby.
Minimize weight-related risks:
- Get to a healthier weight before conceiving
- Gain only 15-25 pounds if you’re overweight; 11-20 if you’re obese
- Don’t diet—you can deprive yourself and baby of essential nutrients
- Eat balanced meals, get 30-60 minutes of activity most days of the week, like walking
- Remember: You only need an extra 150-300 calories/day